Come Visit Us For An Event!
When you drive into Ray Wiegand’s parking lot, it may be hard to imagine that the business of growing has been in the Wiegand family since the 1860′s. It all started when Francis Wiegand purchased a little farm on 13 Mile Road in Warren, Michigan.
Francis’ son, Phillip, took nearly half of the family homestead and planted orchard and vineyard crops. By 1919, these crops expanded to include pine and spruce trees. As the years went on, more and more nursery crops were added.
Phillip’s son, Ray Wiegand Sr. “Cocky” married Alice LaGrou in 1941. Together, with her perennial plant knowledge, they developed a growing family business. Within the next 19 years, the nursery would continue to blossom – and so would the family. 13 children later, 9 girls and 4 boys, Ray and Alice seemed to have an abundance of little farm hands. Needless to say, the children would play a major role in assisting with the daily chores and responsibilities on the farm.